Monday, October 13, 2008

A funny thing happened...


On Saturday afternoon - around 5, I decided that I would rife my bike to Joann's to buy some fabric that I needed for some projects. I was up at the corner of my street and Sunset Ave when I saw something in the road. It looked kind of shiny - I though glass, but it didn't look right. When I rode over it I realized it was change. Nickels, Dimes and Pennies (Oh My!) and there was a lot of it. I pulled my bike over, parked it, and started picking up some of the change. There were quite a few cars so it was kind of funny to be darting out to get this change and darting back to the curb. I was just about ready to give up - I'd only picked up about 20 cents - when this gentleman walking by asked me if that was money. I laughed, I said "yeah, and I can only imagine what it's doing here". He started picking up change too, it was easier with two lunatics in the street - cars were now slowing down for us. Then the man said that he would have to include this in his column, that was when I realized it was Joe Kelly. He is well known around here - he had a column in the OD forever. I used to love reading it, now he has a tv show on one of the local stations. He also wondered out loud if there were any cameras.

So Joe Kelly kept his change - and I kept mine. I can only imagine the story behind it. A child threw it out the window to make mom or dad mad? Or a couple driving down the road was arguing and the change was the "so there" moment of the argument. I don't know - but it was funny. The picture above is what I picked up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny how life throws the strangest events and coincidences at us. It would be interesting to see what happens to the change . . . where does it now go? what is it used for? Could this small amount of change eventually bring something really good -- or really bad -- into ones' life? Fascinating.

Unknown said...

That change is now in my change jar - and that gets used to work on one of my moms favorite things. We buy all kinds of toiletries, she makes beautiful quilted bags - or we use plain brown handled ones (for men) and we load them up with the toiletries and give them to those less fortunate. We are blessed in that we can do that. Thank you for your comment Frank.