Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mom's HOME!

Mom - Thank You God! Is finally home from Buffalo. She has been at Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital since Tuesday the 4th! But the seizures are now under control - with medicine. The neurologists there are actually saying that these are not seizures but can't tell us what they are and the seizure medicine helps tremendously - they added to the one she does take (Lamictal) and added Topamax - the first week she still had the seizure episodes but they were a lot less traumatic - only lasted at the most half an hour and she could just take tylenol and go to sleep. Since they increased the Topamax to 50mg a day - the seizures decreased to about 10 minutes in length and she sleeps when it's over - no harm, no foul. But, again Thank You God!, she hasn't had any seizures in two days!

She called me from the hospital yesterday, Friday, and said that she was 98% sure that they were going to discharge her. It was about 3:30 - I was able to get on the road by 4 - had to change my clothes, get coffee and get money. I got there at 7:30 - it would have been faster - but the weather and roads were not cooperating. Imagine that! Upstate Ny - having snow???? Actually it's beautiful out, though a tad cold. But, I digress, when I got to mom's room - she still hadn't heard from anyone about leaving. I went to the nurses station and Virginia was very helpful and went through mom's information but it didn't say anything about discharge - so I went back to Mom's room and decided that I would call the Holiday Inn and get a room. I did that - and not more than 10 minutes later the Hospitalist came in and said "Do you want to go home???" LOL - we both jumped at that. He made sure that she got her meds and the nurse gave us more meds for mom in the morning - so I wouldn't have to try and get the extra Lamictal and Topamax. So I cancelled my room and we drove home. I'm insane! We didn't get out of there until 10 pm. And because of the lack of medicines for the morning - I decided to drive home. And once again, God was watching over us big time. I was exhausted but we did get home at 1:30am.

I pray that this will continue to go well.
Post a Comment