Monday, August 8, 2011

Stillwater Reservoir

RB and I went camping this past weekend. It was the first time we've gone alone - and didn't have someone already at Stillwater with the camp site all picked out and set up. It was fun! First - we had too much stuff to make one trip in the boat. You have to have a boat to get to the sites at Stillwater - well there is one site that is available by car - but what fun is that?
So RB and I loaded up the boat - put the rest of the stuff on the beach by the dock and I waved goodbye to him as he went to the only site left in the whole place! I figured it would take about 1.5 hours - it was actually closer to two, but I got to meet and speak with a lot of different people. And Charlie, the beautiful golden retriever, slept at my feet and was a sweetheart toward the end of my wait.
When RB did show up, I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't impressed with the site that we had. He had a lot of hauling - uphill to get things up to the camping area. And the beach was a whole 4 feet wide. Well - we filled the boat with the rest of the stuff and took another ride to site 18. Long story short - yes it was a haul up a hill and if you had to run from a bear it would be scary going down the root stairs. But it was beautiful. Breathtaking. Peaceful. Wonderful. Our site was set up so well - we had a huge tarp that acted as a rain break just in case - it was 10'x20' and covered the tent and a nice little space for RB and I to sit and watch the fire. Lots of firewood, beautiful view, and a privy - aka box in the woods to do your business.
Swimming was very enjoyable from our site as was fishing! I caught three keeper size small mouth bass and one baby - we (RB) let all of them go. I just enjoy the thrill of catching them - it's enjoyable....
The trip home was one boat trip - we were able to consolidate - so that made it easier. Plus RB built a trailer for the boat - so that in itself made everything much easier unloading into the truck.
Another great summer weekend....
:)

No comments: