Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dinner is served!


Vegetable Frittata

My mom made this for dinner on Wednesday night. Now you may think - that's no big deal "my mom" or dad or whatever cooks all the time! It was a HUGE deal - BIG! GIGANTIC!

We had a snow storm on Wednesday - dumped about 8 inches or so, so when I got home from work I had to snowblow and shovel in order to park my car in the driveway - yes, I did try to get my car in the driveway before that but got a little stuck! So, my mom has been sick - seizures every day - usually about 2-5 a day. She wanted to help me shovel but all I could imagine was that she would be pushing snow and would fall face first into a snowbank and I'd be in the back or somewhere and not hear her!

When I was getting ready to go out, she said that she would make dinner while I did the snow moving. I have to admit, my first and only thought was that I would have to make/remake dinner when I came in from snow throwing, but boy was I in for a surprise! It took me about 45 minutes to move all of the snow and when I came in, mom was doing the last step before putting the frittata in the oven, so that was all I had to do!

The picture is of when it came out of the oven! It was wonderful and I have to tell you it's a great breakfast, lunch or dinner any time! We had a lot left - mom made a larger pan than what was called for, I just cut up the rest in pie shaped slices and put them in sandwich bags - a minute or two in the microwave and it was wonderful. It was even better the next day!

Poor mom cried when it hit her that she had actually cooked! It's been a long, rough road and she is so tired and druggy that cooking is just not a thing she has been able to do. And here is an update, she is going to Buffalo Women's and Children's hospital on Monday for a 4 day EEG, epilepsy monitoring. We are praying that they will find out what exactly is happening in her head and be able to give us some viable options so that mom can live her life again. She is homebound for the most part. I take her places, but she almost always has a seizure during or after the trip. We are leaving tomorrow after church for Buffalo. Please pray for her....she is so scared and worried about what they may find that could be bad news.

On a lighter note... the recipe for the frittata.

6 eggs
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 potato halved and sliced
1 onion halved and sliced (mom used dried minced onion)
8 oz ham cut into 3/4" pieces (mom used thicker sliced lunch meat ham)
1 package (10 oz) frozen broccoli florets, thawed and cut into 1"pieces.

Preheat oven to 400F.
In bowl, beat eggs with 1/2 cup of cheese, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; reserve.
In 10" nonstick skillet with ovenproof handle, heat 1 Tbs oil over medium heat (mom used Pam). Add potato, onion and 1/4 tsp salt and cook, stirring frequently until almost tender, 10 minutes. Add egg mixture, ham and broccoli; cook until edges are set, 3 minutes.
Transfer to oven.
Bake until set, 25 minutes, sprinkling with remaining 1/2 cup cheese during last 5 minutes of cooking time. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I do have all of nutritional information, please let me know if you want that.

Happy Eating

2 comments:

Mel- said...

That's so exciting - I know how big of a deal this is!

I'll be praying for the Buffalo trip. Let me know what you find out.


Mel-

Unknown said...

It was an incredibly big deal....She made it again tonight - but with spinach instead! YUMMY!