Saturday, June 13, 2009

Woo Hooo!

It was a banner day! I had thought that I could get up really early (6:30) and be biking by 7 - yeah that wasn't going to happen. But at 9:00 I was on the trail in Utica. I had changed my saddle (again) but got it right finally! I rode faster than I have all year and it was consistent.

I met some great people on the trail that told me about this fantastic book for the Erie Trail! It's the "Cycling the Erie Canal - A Guide to 400 Miles of Adventure and History along the Erie Canalway Trail" - It's small, it's spiral bound and it's got everything in it. Including the 'missed' turn from last weeks ride. At Old Fort Herkimer Historic church you end up on the road, but then instead of trying to conquer the "hill from hell" after Rt. 167 - you take 167 into Little Falls - and back on the trail. There are Things to see and do for each section, Travel & Trail Notes, Visitor Information, the trails are all marked according to paved, stone dust, natural, on-Road and Safety hazards (like crossing 5 lanes of traffic in Syracuse!).

They should mention in the book the chipmunks, turtles, swans and cygnets, geese and goslings, robins, gold finches, hawks, snakes (yipes), gophers, deer, and so much more! And that is just what I saw today. This was a perfect ride day and I can't wait to go on my next ride using my new awesome map!

***Update - I've now gone 105 miles this year! I only went 232 all last year, so I'm on a roll (pun intended)!

8 comments:

Mel- said...

I sooooo want to do that ride with you! I think we should make an adventure out of it!

Unknown said...

The whole ride is 400 Miles - I want to be like Jill Homer and just be able to put life on hold and spend the summer riding it. How fun! How would you get your bike here? I am trying to figure out how to ride when I come out in the spring. (notice it's when, not if!)

Mel- said...

That's what I was thinking - we just pack up our bikes and go! :-) We could do 400 miles in 2 weeks. Of course, I favor finding cheap hotel rooms to camping out on the side of the trail, but that's just me...

We can rent a bike when you come out here or borrow Louise's old bike, or use my old bike as I'll have my new one by then. There are lots of options....

Unknown said...

My mom cracks me up - she says where will you start? How will you get back to your car? how many miles and where are you going? LOL

I want to do a beach ride in Cali! No bugs to eat! I swallowed/inhaled a ton yesterday. I've learned to spit a lot.

Mel- said...

OK, California wins. I don't need all that extra protein! Yuck!!

Maybe a nice ride up the coast to Santa Barbara?

Unknown said...

Yeah, I wear my glasses for more than just sight and sun protection - also for bug protection. They are pretty bad when I get home and then there are the bugs that get in the vents of my helmet. Or even better yet, cleaning goose poop off my bike! LOL - they are disgusting!

Santa Barbara bound sounds great. Are you checking on Jill Homer.

Mel- said...

Yes, I've been checking Jill's blog. I'm addicted. I would love to have the strength to do what she does, but staying in luxury hotels each night, of course....

Anonymous said...

Yes that stretch of the trail is a wildlife haven.I do find the bugs a bit challenging this time of year. Maybe on a bike and a quicker pace (than walking) they're not as swarming. But as for wildlife and solitude it's a treasure in our own backyard.